The 25th Annual Steamtown Marathon will be held on Sunday, October 11, 2020.
Runners, the executive committee of the Steamtown Marathon has been monitoring the COVID-19 situation as we consider whether we can have our 25th annual race as scheduled.
Most of the race course is in Lackawanna County which is still classified as “red” by state government. Indications are that we will go to yellow in early June. The next step would be to go green but even then, gatherings of 250 people or more will not be allowed.
In short, we have not made a final decision yet but unless the situation improves quickly and dramatically, it is unlikely that we will get all of the necessary permissions to run the race.
We plan to monitor the situation for a few more weeks to see if things improve. What we do not want to do is to start making our usual expensive race purchases and then have to cancel the race. If we do have to cancel, we will do our best to give you the largest refund we possibly can (hopefully the full entry fee).
In the meantime, if you have a four leaf clover, or lucky horseshoe or rabbit’s foot, I suggest you get them out and send some positive vibes our way.
Our final decision will be made with the safety of our runners, volunteers, and spectators in mind.
The start of registration for our inaugural three-person relay has been delayed indefinitely.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work our way through this stressful and frustrating situation.
Jim Cummings, Asst. Race Director, Steamtown Marathon